Packing is one of the most stressful things about traveling with my family so I have perfected the art of traveling with just one suitcase. For a family of five!
you start with the littlest kid and fold him gently… totally kidding. It took me a long time to come up with a title for this post that didn’t sound like I was packing my whole family (instead of just their sh*t) inside of a suitcase. That’s not to say that I haven’t thought about packing all the family into a suitcase, checking them and flying first class solo – but it’s frowned upon, I think.
When I was contacted by iFly to see if I were interested in their new X Series Hard Case Luggage I made a challenge both to iFly and myself – to see if I could pack a weekends worth of my families things into one suitcase to take on a trip. iFly Luggage accepted my challenge and shipped me The Admiral X Series 28″ suitcase. They also sent me an Admiral X Series carryon case. I was immediately impressed with their durability.
When the suitcases arrived I couldn’t immediately get to them because I have kids and life and things to take care of. I took them out of the boxes and twirled them around making note that the damn things were smooooth and I imagined how easy it would be to tote these puppies through an airport while carrying two toddlers. Then I went off to make dinner or change a diaper and this happened.
The kids discovered that smoooooth wheel action I was talking about, jumped on board and began a roller derby/crash/race throughout the house. And I let them! And I continued to let them for the weeks leading up to our trip. They jumped from case to case, crashed into everything, rolled over one another and probably some crazy things I didn’t see. They acted like the worst luggage handlers on the face of the planet for weeks. The Admiral X Series had not a scratch, bent wheel or ding come time to take photos.
How come the kids didn’t tear up the inside? You might be wondering to yourself – well, X Series comes with TSA approved locks built in. LOCKS! That’s how.
I usually say “Pack half as much as you think you need and twice as much money” – because you always end up with more clothes and things than you actually use on a trip – and if you end up needing something you can usually purchase it during your trip.
I’m thinking that with our new luggage from iFly X Series, we can pack as much as we want. There is so much room in these things that my “challenge” wasn’t too challenging.
One Suitcase Packing for a Family of 5.
The 28″ Admiral X Series by iFly Luggage has a built-in garment suiter that zips securely into the interior. Actually, everything zips securely into the interior, there is literally a pocket for everything, which is another reason that this “challenge” of 5 person packing wasn’t too challenging. I think iFly knew that.
- We packed two dresses and two men’s dress shirts and slacks into the garment suiter
- This is also a safe place to tuck laptops or tablets
- Fold pants in half and lay across suitcase so that the waist and ankles are outside
- Fold the tops, shirts, sweaters, and stack inside the case on top of pants
- There are 3 rows of pants here: Mom’s, Dad’s and Oliver’s (he is 7 so his pants are long enough for this trick)
- On the other side of the suitcase, you can repeat the process
- When the pants are folded over it creates space on the sides
- The space created by the “pants capsule” leaves space for smaller items, curling irons, makeup, socks and more.
- Rolls small clothing (like the baby’s clothes) into outfits and tuck alongside
- This Admiral XSeries from iFly is incredibly large and we had more than enough space to pack extra shoes alongside the smaller kids clothing
- Pack kids & baby clothes rolled together in outfits.
Secure Accessories & Electronics
- The more that you are able to fit into your checked luggage the less you have to worry about getting into your carryon.
Have a Safe Trip!
You now have your whole family’s clothes for a weekend trip tucked securely into one suitcase! If you travel with little ones, like we do, having everything together in one case is great, because your hands are free to wrangle straggling toddler and carry crying babes through airports. If you need some more help Traveling with the kids, check out these hacks.
iFly X Series Admiral 28″ Rolling Suitcase (Available at Wal-Mart)
iFly X Series Admiral Rolling Carryon (Available at Wal-Mart)